Before you plan your trip to Italy, take a moment to understand Italy’s cities and regions.
Popular Cities to Visit in Italy
Regions in Italy
Italy is made up of 20 regions, which are listed below in alphabetical order along with their most popular cities and/or sub-regions where applicable.
- Campania – Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Flegrean Islands (Capri, Ischia, Procida)
- Emilia-Romagna – Bologna, Ferrara, Modena, Parma, Ravenna
- Friuli-Venezia Giulia – Trieste
- Lazio – Rome
- Le Marche – Urbino
- Liguria – Genoa, Cinque Terre
- Lombardy – Milan, Italian Lakes
- Piemonte – Torino
- Sicily – Palermo
- Trentino Alto Adige
- Tuscany – Florence, Siena, Pisa
- Umbria – Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto
- Val D’Aosta
- Veneto – Venice
Countries Within Italy
The Italian peninsula is home to not one…not two…but three countries. While you are visiting Italy, you may also want to add these two other countries to your itinerary.